Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What is Conservatism right now?

I want to tackle a few questions about the current state of political thought. The first of these, as the title indicates, is Conservatism. I think I'm drawn to analyze it first because it appears to be in retreat (in America at least) and I have a thing for the little guy.

The best I can come up with at this point is a list of qualities I've observed (mostly through the media).
Conservatives:
- Resist Change (duh) but are anti-establishment when the establishment creates change
- Are anti-intellectual but claim to be heir to an intellectual movement
- Believe in an absolute truths unqualified by evidence (I don't mean that to sound harsh or combative but I can't think of another way to put it. Faith perhaps. Feelings and personal credulity > data and debate)
- Are prone to conspiracy theories (this one comes from more personal observation than just the media)
- Are Anti-statist and anti-government
- Seem to support individual liberties except in two situations: 1. National security is at stake (the Jack Bauer scenario) and 2. Traditional societal structures are threatened (i.e. family and marriage).
- Seem split about international affairs. Many see the US as a force for good in the world and argue for the use of "hard power" to accomplish that good. Yet, a vocal minority (libertarian leaning I believe) want less interventions. The third part see US foreign policy as a means to further US interests (i.e. combat terrorism, confront challenges to US hegemony by rogue states)
- Believe, for one reason or another, that the United States (and its citizens) is better than any other country. Basically, conservatives are American exceptionalists. This may help to explain why a party that promotes free trade will also make a lot of noise about "buying American" and protecting American jobs.

That pretty much sums up my list. Most issues I can think of fall into those categories. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment