Monday, July 28, 2014

7/28/14 Today's Inquiries

Garfield hates Mondays.

The links:

Minecraft is 5 years old and is still going strong. I can't say I've played much recently but that's not to say I won't play in the future. I need to find a way to merge all of the maps I've ever played into one super map.

XKCD speculates that Tommy Wiseau is actually DB Cooper. It's as good a theory as any.

New Mad Max


The New York Times goes to the beach and has a sad. Maybe it's because the 6th great extinction is upon us and we're to blame.

Or maybe they should have had better summer reading material. iO9 rounds up 21 important SciFi books.

Tolkein wouldn't be happy about this: 1/2 of Britain to be opened up for fracking. Maybe his chapters about the Shire becoming an industrial wasteland will become true again.

Tyler Cowen shares a fact about Germany. Apparently they've thrown open their borders and are keen to train immigrants for jobs and teach them German. Not a bad idea and the US is looking more and more a mess these days.

For example, the new GOP outrage of the moment is secret Obama inflation. I've totally been on the right's side with this issue before. Then I saw no inflation for about 10 years despite loose Fed policy.

And, Midterm Calculus now gives republicans better chances this fall than last week. I should stop following the polls.

Andrew Sullivan asks if the Christian Left is capable of gaining traction. I doubt it but I live in east Kentucky. I find it more likely that Christians become less political. Or at least less political because of their religion. 3-ish decades of the Moral Majority didn't stop the gay or any other perceived scourge on society.

How doctors think about healthcare vs how management think about health care. Allow me to summarize: Managers want to bring Common Core into hospitals. Physicians want to be left alone to practice medicine as they see fit. The managers will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment