Thursday, August 7, 2014

8/7/14 Today's Inquiries

I bet you thought I'd forgotten about you. Well I did. Until now.

The Links:

What if you were to make a Game of Thrones subway map? It would look like this:
Image credit Michael Tyznik.
See, this is why they banned drones in national parks. Oh hey, let me use my drone to get a really cool closeup of this aeons old hot spring untouched by humans. Oops.

I feel this chart is accurate but also a bit of a tautology. Of course there will be more strippers with popular names because those names are more common!

Which brings me to the next link. Jonathan Wei thinks we should start teaching statistics in kindergarten. So long as it doesn't get in the way of my kids' programming classes, I'm okay with it.

Speaking of statistics, the 1% may be so rich that we don't have an accurate way to measure how much they actually have. No. Seriously. We've got some kind of Scrooge McDuck quantum tunneling here where his money pit is literally infinite. Or tax shelters. I'd love to see an episode of Duck Tails about offshore tax havens and the "Double Dutch" and what not.

Which is cool, I guess, because this guy from Enron is using his limitless billions to fund investigative journalism. Did I mention that he is also very active in backing politicians? No. Don't worry. What could possibly go wrong?

Mathbabe decided to figure out the economics of a McDonald's franchise. Let me help. (Addictive high margin food + Customers) - low operating costs = profit. It's apparently a business structure that insulates corporations from lawsuits.

Hey, you got your hedge fund money in my school policy! No, you got your school policy in my hedge fund money!

Two studies about grade inflation at Universities. It's pretty inconclusive except for this one pearl of wisdom:
The implication of these two studies is that if an institution wants to reduce grade inflation, it needs to do more than just make information about average grades available. Indeed, making information about average grades available seems to induce students, especially students of lower ability, to choose more easy-grading courses.
Increase rigor, don't report grades. Ever.

A film about the threat caused by child abusers not vaccinating their kids is finally available now that the anti-vaccine crowd has been outsmarted. Yes, I said child abuse. Yes, I believe that. Yes, vaccinate your kids.

Robert Draper asks, has the libertarian moment finally arrived? Not if you're pointing to Ron and Rand Paul who are LINOs. Libertarian in name only. Get it. I suppose there is an argument to be made that they're popularizing libertarian thought.

Somebody needs to introduce the fauxbertarians to the real right-wingers. Europe's neoreactionary folks are really quite scary and I can't help but share an article which mentions my favorite technofacist movement.

Perhaps a little more seriously, 10 theses about why there's a big swing right in Europe these days.

Swinging wildly in a different direction, Albert Hunt calls Nixon a good liberal. Because, um, China and detente and, well, pretty much every past republican looks liberal these days.

Did you know that telling white people prison is racist makes them like prison more? Neither did I until I read this. Damn, I'm kinda depressed. This I why I'd support a war on whites.

Are female scientists hiding? Well, if we assume that by using statistics to make an educated guess about whether the first initial of a published science author is male or female, then we can safely say that... Wait. I never took statistics in kindergarten so I have no idea what this study is trying to say.
...that estimate means a third more women are hidden among the first-initial authors than we would expect. (The disparity becomes even larger — 14.0 percent versus 8.3 percent — when we look at authorships, not at authors — in other words, when we count a scientist twice if she’s written two papers.)

No comments:

Post a Comment