Sunday, October 19, 2014

10/19/14 Today's inquiries

Nerd links! We learned this week that video games are better than the people who play them.


The Links:

Criticism of Apple and Facebook's paid egg freezing services. Hey, we don't really want to cover maternity leave and all that crap so let's just say you decide to be a good little employee and save those eggs for later, m' kay?

We now know what life was like for the real Amazons of ancient Greek fame.
The evidence, she writes, points to the fact that there really were Amazons: in some archaeological digs in Eurasia, as many as thirty-seven per cent of the graves contain the bones and weapons of horsewomen who fought alongside men. 
An essay against workplace techno-utopianism. Queue up Damn it Feels Good to Be a Gangster and go beat a fax machine to death.
Utopian reveries spill forth almost daily from the oracles of progress, forecasting a transformation of Information Age labor into irrepressible acts of impassioned fun. But we know all too well the painful truth about today’s ordinary work routines: they have become more, not less, routinized, soul-killing, and laden with drudgery.
Hey, William Gibson! You know a lot about the future and stuff, so how will the future look back at us? W.G.: I have no idea.

It's Digital Citizenship Week. Here's a bunch of resources for teachers to use in the classroom. I always did a big unit about healthy online behavior with my freshmen and tied it all in with my literacy work in the spring when they were at a point where they could write longer pieces.

Okay, first off, I had no idea that there was a Ghost in the Shell movie in the works and that makes me excited. However, I don't care much for Scarlett Johansen and I'm worried that she's being typecast as the female technological hybrid fantasy lady.

It looks like Marvel is pushing ahead on the Civil War storyline. It's going to be interesting to see how the film handles the subject matter now that the NSA et.al. has made such issues a reality.

Comic books are for men.

Polygon issues a letter from the editor regarding gamergate terrorism.

There's a new game called I am Bread. In it, you play a slice of bread. Of course it is white bread so how hard can it be?

It appears that lots of YouTube "let's play" and review videos do not increase game sales.

Colin has been aggressively pushing me to play Alien: Isolation. I will not because I'm too much of a scaredy cat. I seriously can't do it. So here's a review of the game as a horror simulator.

Jason Jones posted a three part review of the new Tomb Raider game earlier this month. I recommend reading it because his criticism is frequently well thought out and of a high quality. Part 1 here. I hope he plays The Last of Us soon.

Random videos:

-

-

-




No comments:

Post a Comment