Friday, December 5, 2014

This War of Mine: Day 2


So, we left off with Pavle returning home from scavenging supplies in a nearby villa. It turns out the villa was inhabited and poor Pavle took a few punches on his way out. He returned with very little as I had seen fit to load him down with unnecessary supplies for the trip. As he walks into the front door, Pavle expresses some concern for the people he just stole from.
See, just like I said.
Katia is just plain thankful he made it back and Bruno seems to be the realist of the bunch. He states he doesn't care where the supplies came from. I set them to work crafting and clearing the remaining rubble. The situation is precarious, though. All three are tired and hungry and Katia is still sick.

Bruno is able to build a simple cooking stove and some flammable materials so I give the ex-chef the task of cooking up our meager amount of food. It turns out to be just enough to feed everyone. Meanwhile, Pavle sets about building a bed which should improve their sleep quality. Poor Katia is stuck digging the last remaining rubble piles.
The is the house. It's a bit of a fixer upper.
Pavle gets the bed immediately since he was out the whole night. Bruno makes as many craftables as he can which ends up being mostly firewood for the stove. Katia gets the bed when Pavle wakes up so she can rest for the evening. I plan on sending her on the next scavenging run just in case negotiation is an option.

When night comes, I have Pavle guard and Bruno gets the bed. Katia will go to the nearby cottage which I passed on the previous night. There are two new scavenging options available: a bombed out school and a supermarket in the military occupied part of town. Maybe another time. What the group really needs is food, medicines, and building materials. Preferably in that order.

The Cottage
The cottage is thankfully unoccupied. Save for a few rats running around, Katia is free to scavenge her heart out. She manages to find some gun parts, ammo, and a broken pistol which she takes. She also finds some food and building materials. However, there is a locked door upstairs which I can't get Katia to open. I wasted all my lockpicks on the first day. There's also a cabinet behind some rubble in the right hand corner. Katia has to dig with her hands (still no shovel) and it takes her several hours to clear the way. The cabinet is also locked so no medicines tonight. Katia will have to remain sick for another day. She also finds an ominous message about the cottage's former inhabitants.
I have to imagine he's dead in the locked room. It also explains the gun I found. 

So day 2 was a bit more successful from a survival standpoint. I send Katia home a bit early having filled her pack with all the food and building supplies I can fit. Things are looking up for the party and I plan to be a bit more adventuresome the next night. The absence of medicine is going to take a toll if Katia becomes incapacitated. I also need to know a bit more about these people. Tomorrow I'll explore the interpersonal side of the game and try to tease out the relationships between the characters. Also, I want to craft a shovel.

No comments:

Post a Comment